Buttermilk and hazelnut fried chicken with watermelon and sauerkraut in a brioche bun.
- 1tsp olive oil
- 2 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 240g pineapple
- 120g strawberries
- 120ml white wine vinegar
- 120ml water
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 1 brioche burger bun
- 80g chicken breast, soaked in buttermilk
- 75g ground hazelnuts
- 100g watermelon (pre-sliced)
- 75g sauerkraut (shop bought)
- 30g Pineapple & jalapeño hot sauce
- Start by making the hot sauce by heating oil in a pan on high heat. Add the jalapeño and cook for 1 minute, then add all the fruit and cook for 3 mins. Next, add the vinegar, water, salt and sugar and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 mins, then allow to cool, blend the mixture and bottle.
- To make the main dish, start by preparing the chicken breasts and using a sharp knife cut 90% of the way through the breast at its fattest point. Open up the incision you have just made and flatten the breast into one flat layer. The breast should be nice a thin. Lay the breast in a bowl and cover with buttermilk and leave to soak for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, lay your ground hazelnuts in a shallow tray.
- After 30 mins, take your chicken breast, allowing most of the buttermilk to drip off, and place it in the hazelnuts. Press to get the one side covered, before turning it and covering the other side in the hazelnuts. Repeat this process until both sides are well covered in nuts.
- Place your chicken back in the fridge, covered, whilst you preheat the fryer to 170c. Once the oil is hot, carefully lower the chicken breast into the hot oil and cook for 4 minutes until the nutty coating is nice and dark. Remove to a chopping board and allow to cool.
- Finally, cut open the brioche bun and toast the cut side in a dry pan, on a hot grill or over an open flame for 30 seconds. Smear the base of the bun with the pre-made hot sauce, lay your prepped watermelon on top of this, then the chicken breast, then the sauerkraut, and finally the top of the bun.