Acid Reflux: Triggers, Symptoms and Treatments
What does it feel like, what brings it on, and how can you make it go away?
This is Gaviscon's guide to understanding the causes, symptoms and treatments of acid reflux.
What is acid reflux?
Acid reflux is also known as heartburn, acid indigestion and gastric reflux.
It’s caused when some of the acidic stomach contents go back up into the oesophagus (the tube that carries food down from your mouth). This creates a burning pain in the lower chest area, often after you’ve just had a meal.
What are the acid reflux symptoms?
Think you might have acid reflux? What should you look out for?
The two most common symptoms are:
- Sour taste – Unpleasant acidic taste in your mouth
- Burning sensation in the chest or throat – Intense feeling in the middle of the stomach or back of the throat caused by the refluxed stomach acid burning the sensitive lining of the oesophagus (food pipe)
Other symptoms include:
- Feeling sick
- Difficulty or pain when swallowing
- Dry cough
*Based on survey of 13,831 Heartburn and Indigestion Sufferers from 5 Countries
How can I treat Acid Reflux?
Looking for an effective medicine to ease your discomfort?
Gaviscon Advance provides soothing treatment for acid reflux. It rapidly forms a protective barrier over your stomach contents, which helps prevent acid coming back up.
- Long-lasting relief - Available in original liquid form or chewable tablets
- Contains alginate - This works with the body by forming a protective barrier on top of the stomach contents. The physical barrier helps prevent the acid rising into your food pipe. This means Gaviscon remedies do not need to be absorbed into the bloodstream to provide relief
- Pregnant? - Suitable for use in pregnancy and while breast feeding, if needed.
If you are a frequent sufferer of heartburn (2+ occasions per week), it may also be appropriate for you to take a PPI. Guardium is a PPI brought to you by the Makers of Gaviscon, specially formulated for frequent sufferers. One pill for 24 hours relief and can be used alongside Gaviscon Advance to help treat any breakthrough symptoms.
*Based on a survey of 13,831 Heartburn and Indigestion Sufferers from 5 Countries.
Medicines can affect the unborn baby. Always talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicine in pregnancy.