Causes & Symptoms
What causes heartburn during pregnancy? Well, there are usually two main reasons you’re suffering:
- Hormones released in pregnancy relax the muscles that normally keep stomach acid down.
- As your bump grows, it puts increasing pressure on your oesophagus, making it more likely for heartburn to occur.
What are the symptoms of heartburn during pregnancy?
- A bloated feeling
- Burning/pain in the chest area
- Bringing up food
- Feeling sick, or vomiting
Heartburn during pregnancy is common, and the good news is that there are suitable and effective treatments for it.
Gaviscon Advance is designed to act locally in the stomach. It has the lowest sodium content of any product in the Gaviscon range.
Medicine can affect the unborn baby. Always talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicine during pregnancy.
1Clinical Study; Assessment of the Safety and Efﬁcacy of a Raft-Forming Alginate Reﬂux Suppressant (Gaviscon Liquid) for the Treatment of Heartburn during Pregnancy
You can also look to make lifestyle changes. Consider:
- Eating small meals rather than three big portions a day
- Watching your posture (a straight, upright back is good, especially when eating)